Kim-Tenorio notes age of DOC drug smuggling case, sets Feb. 2027 trial

Superior Court Associate Judge Teresa K. Kim-Tenorio noted that the criminal case involving Department of Corrections officer Cleon Otto Reyes Pacho and co-defendant Regina Visitacion Camacho Bowie has been pending since March before setting their jury trial for Feb. 22, 2027.
“This matter has been pending since March,” Kim-Tenorio said during a status conference last Monday, Aug. 17, at the Guma’ Hustisia.
Kim-Tenorio set the jury trial for 10am and scheduled a pretrial conference for Jan. 11 at 10am. Chief Prosecutor Chester Hinds, representing the Criminal Division of the CNMI Office of the Attorney General, told the court the trial could take at least a week and requested a February setting.
The government had previously sought additional time while working on warrants involving other potential defendants. Hinds told the court that the warrant process was substantially completed but still required judicial action before the warrants could be executed. He indicated that the government expected the process to move forward within the week.
Bowie, 37, is now represented by attorney Steve Pixley, who was recently appointed to the case. Pixley informed the court that he was exploring whether drug court could be an option for Bowie. No referral had yet been made, and her eligibility for the program has not been determined.
Pacho continues to be represented by attorney Keith Chambers II. He was accompanied to Monday’s hearing by his father, Franklin Pacho, who has served as his third-party custodian following his release on bail.
Pixley and Chambers declined to comment when asked by reporters about the trial date following the status hearing.
The criminal case stems from allegations surrounding an incident at the correctional facility last March 24. According to a complaint and affidavit filed by Department of Public Safety Det. Jonathan Joe N. Aguon, investigators received information that contraband would be brought into DOC that evening and conducted surveillance near the facility.
Investigators alleged that a red Toyota Corolla entered the DOC employee parking lot and Pacho approached the vehicle. A female passenger allegedly handed him a plastic bag before the vehicle drove away. Police later stopped the vehicle along Chalan Kiya on Monsignor Guerrero Road and identified the driver as Jose Blas and the passenger as Bowie.
Inside DOC, internal affairs personnel intercepted Pacho and searched the bag. Authorities alleged it contained zip-lock bags holding a green leafy substance and a crystalline substance, along with barbecue sticks, soft drinks, smokeless tobacco products and lighters. Investigators said the crystalline substance later tested presumptively positive for methamphetamine and weighed approximately 0.96 grams.
Pacho was arrested at the correctional facility, while Bowie was taken into custody shortly after the traffic stop.
According to the complaint and affidavit, investigators said Pacho told them during a March 25 interview that he had received a call from a woman who said she had food for an inmate identified as “Max.” Investigators said Pacho told them he confirmed with the inmate that it was “just food” and left his post after asking another officer to cover for him so he could retrieve the items.
Police said Pacho told investigators that he intended to bring the package to his supervisor but was stopped before he could do so. He also allegedly told investigators that he did not know what was inside the bag.
Both defendants have pleaded not guilty.
Bowie pleaded not guilty through then-Chief Public Defender Douglas Hartig during her April 6 arraignment before Presiding Judge Robert C. Naraja. Hartig also waived the reading of the advisement of rights on her behalf. Bowie faces charges of promoting major prison contraband, promoting minor prison contraband and trafficking a controlled substance.
Pacho pleaded not guilty through Chambers during his May 11 arraignment and waived formal reading of the charge.
Kim-Tenorio previously disclosed that she is Bowie’s godmother but said she had not seen Bowie in approximately 25 years. During a June 1 hearing, the judge placed the relationship on the record and asked the prosecution and defense whether they objected to her continuing to preside over the case. Both sides indicated they had no objection. Kim-Tenorio said she would remain on the case at that point while acknowledging that recusal could become necessary depending on how the case develops.
Share this article: