Local

Defense says CNMI OAG extended settlement offer in Borja assault case

Mark Rabago

May 22, 2026

2 min read

Defense counsel revealed that the CNMI Office of the Attorney General has extended an offer of settlement to Earl Marc Borja, with discussions expected to continue ahead of the next status conference in Superior Court.

Associate Judge Lillian Ada Tenorio presided over the brief hearing held last May 21, during which Borja’s attorney Janet King informed the court that her client had received an offer from the government.

Tenorio scheduled a continued status conference on Borja’s case for June 4 at 10am, giving both parties time to discuss the settlement. Borja appeared electronically as he was on Tinian.

OAG assistant attorney general Daniel Johnson appeared on behalf of the CNMI government.

According to a sworn complaint previously filed in court, Borja allegedly struck a handcuffed man three to four times on the left side of his head with an extendable baton behind the former La Fiesta Mall in San Roque on Dec. 19, 2025.

The complaint alleged the man was handcuffed at the time of the assault and sustained a head concussion and abrasions, experiencing temporary blackouts and mild nausea.

Investigators alleged the incident followed a response by Borja and fellow officer Elijah Villar to LN Market in Chalan Kanoa. Villar reportedly placed the man in handcuffs for safety, then transported him in a patrol vehicle. The man allegedly asked to be dropped off at Pau Pau Beach, but the officers instead continued to the area behind La Fiesta.

Court documents stated investigators found discrepancies between Borja’s account and GPS data, as well as radio log information inconsistent with statements about the man’s whereabouts. Villar allegedly told investigators that Borja admitted causing the man to bleed and instructed him to “stick to a story” about the incident.

The complaint further stated Borja later waived his rights during an interview and admitted to striking the man with his fist, while denying use of the baton.

Borja was previously released on $20,000 bail in connection with the case.


Share this article