Local

Yumul, Cruz apologize over Obyan latte site controversy, vow tighter safeguards

Mark Rabago

May 22, 2026

5 min read

Department of Public Works Secretary Ray N. Yumul and Division Parks & Recreation director Mike Cruz publicly apologized over the controversy surrounding the Obyan Latte Site following debris-clearing operations after Super Typhoon Sinlaku, while promising stricter protocols and oversight moving forward.

The issue erupted after social media posts alleged that heavy equipment disturbed the historic site and that a lusong went missing during cleanup operations in Obyan.

Interviewed at the DPW office in Oleai last May 19, Yumul acknowledged public outrage and said the government should have exercised greater caution around culturally sensitive areas.

“I do have to apologize,” Yumul said. “Ultimately everything stops at my level and I’ll take blame as well that we should have been more careful.”

Cruz also issued an apology, saying the incident deeply affected him personally.

“I want to apologize of what transpired,” Cruz said. “It’s unfortunately what transpired. I’m very grateful that nothing got damaged there.”

According to Yumul, Parks & Recreation crew, along with teams from Rep. Danny Aquino’s office, had been tasked with clearing typhoon debris from the beach area after Sinlaku left hazardous piles of wreckage near public areas and historical sites.

“Their task was to clear the beach of the debris that may pose a threat to the public because of the precarious way it’s situated,” Yumul said.

Heavy equipment, including a payloader, was brought in to help pile debris because some areas could not be cleared manually.

The controversy centered on whether the payloader damaged latte stones or other artifacts at the site.

Yumul said the Historic Preservation Office reviewed the area using photographs taken after Sinlaku as well as older storm assessments and concluded that the displaced latte stone had already fallen during a prior typhoon.

“Fortunately, in this situation nothing had happened to the site,” Yumul said. “It wasn’t damaged in any way by the cleanup crew and we’re thankful for that.”

Still, both officials admitted that debris was piled dangerously close to the latte stones.

Cruz said when he and Yumul personally inspected the site alongside HPO staff, they discovered the debris pile had stopped only a few feet away from the latte structures.

“It was too close to the latte, but it’s about 3 feet from the latte that equipment stopped,” Cruz said. “I was very thankful that it didn’t hit any damage any of the stones.”

The missing lusong remains another major concern.

Cruz said he believes the artifact is still buried somewhere within storm debris that has yet to be hauled away from Obyan.

“All the four pavilions are gone. We’re assuming that the lusong is on top of those tin roofs that was pushed to the side,” Cruz said. “Nothing has been removed. No debris hasn’t left Obyan. I’m pretty sure that the stuff that they’re claiming it’s not there should be under those things.”

He pledged to personally monitor future debris hauling operations at the site alongside HPO, Division of Coastal Resources Management personnel, and contractors to ensure no historical artifacts leave the area.

“I’m gonna be there to monitor the whole operation to make sure that no historical artifacts leaves that area and we’ll have to put it back how it was,” Cruz said.

Cruz said the payloader operator involved in the controversy has since been reassigned away from shoreline cleanup operations involving sensitive historical areas.

“Right now, the equipment is not with us on the beach side,” Cruz said. “I’m tasked to have the backhoe with competent people to make sure that somebody’s always with the backhoe and we have to make sure now that this don’t happen again.”

Yumul added that the contractor who owns the equipment also addressed the matter with the operator.

“The contractor that owns the equipment did talk to that operator and made sure that going forward he has to basically heed to ground crews that are giving guidance,” Yumul said.

He said the operator will no longer be allowed to work with heavy equipment near historical sites.

“I don’t expect him to be working with heavy equipment near any historical sites. That I can guarantee the public,” Yumul said.

Moving forward, both officials said new safeguards are now in place before any debris-clearing operation occurs near cultural or environmentally sensitive locations.

Yumul said DPW will now require agencies such as HPO, CRM, and the Bureau of Environmental and Coastal Quality to conduct advance assessments before crews enter historical areas.

“We have a process that is in place now,” Yumul said. “Prior to going and entering an area especially along the beaches, historical sites up in Marpi or anywhere else around the island, we will be requesting the relevant agencies such as HPO, CRM, DEQ for that matter as well to assist us in conducting an assessment so we identify sensitive areas.”

Cruz said Parks & Recreation crews will also rely more heavily on manual labor in sensitive locations if necessary.

“If we have to do it by hand then so be it,” Cruz said. “It’s gonna be a more tedious process.”


Share this article